Saturday 7 May 2011

My job as a director - Moving image Evaluation.


For our moving image module, each group were given a script for a short film. The script my group recieved is called "herds".


Everyone in our group was assigned a role, which we then attached tasks to. As Director, my job was to create storyboards of each scene, create risk assesments, edit the script according to my own interpretation and, along with the producer, make sure everything goes to plan. Our group turned out to be really organised and everyone had completed there set tasks over the easter holiday, aided by the use of a facebook group, which allowed us to keep in contact and updated. We had managed to get in contact with an actor, find a suitable location and get hold of extra's enabling us to film as soon as we had got back.

The group were really enthusiastic about starting the filming, so we set dates for the camera equiment to be taken out, organised what days we would need actors and extras and made sure we were still able to use are designated location.

I feel I worked well as a director, talking through scripts with actors so they knew exactly what I was trying to portray, working alongside the cameraman to make sure the shots conincided with what we were trying to achieve with the script, and generally making sure people were doing what they were suppose to. We came across very few problems on the day of filming, down to the good orginisation of the group. I think the only real minor we had is with lighting where We were trying to create a party scene using a disco ball, which worked well in casting colour throughout the room, Yet unfortunately the room appeared really dark on the camera.

Within a couple of weeks of starting filming we had already got all the raw footage we needed, leaving just the editing left. My final task as director was to over see the editing to make sure it reflected the script. A complete edit of "Herds" was completed over a couple of days working it and ready to be uploaded to recieve feedback from peers on what could be changed to enhance the final outcome. After making slight changes to certain scenes we were done!

Overall I really enjoyed this moving image project. And I dont think I can really find fault in anything we did over the few weeks. I think this is mainly due to being so organised as a group and setting dates and times for each task to be completed by. This project has allowed me to have an insight into how the film process works and it makes you realise how many minor details must be thought before the camera is even turned on. I think I may of slightly underestimated how much pressure is on the director when the camera starts rolling, with people wanting to know what they have to be doing at that exact given time, ButIi found the whole experience really enjoyable and has done nothing but back up my reasons for wanting to pursue moving image into the second year.

Herds :


No comments:

Post a Comment